Monday, March 12th, 2012
14

How Much Can Your Kindle Single Make? Turns Out: Lots!


When I got my first royalty check from Amazon, I went to my boss at the bar and was like, “Mike, I quit, dude,” and he was like why, and I was like “Look at this check, man,” and he said, “I’d quit too.”

This is what I’m doing now. My three stories that are out have now sold in excess of 93,000 copies, and I have another Kindle Single that I’m working on for later this year, and hopefully working on a book.

Don't you love knowing how much money people make? This is actually really admirable that the Kindle Singles folks are encouraging writers to go public about sales and earnings; your average publishing house would flip out. It is of course the best possible advertisement for themselves.

14 Comments / Post A Comment

Now. Right now. Just now. Now I'm old.

keisertroll (#1,117)

I broke my Kindle using it as a pillow, and I would still buy every Kindle Single you guys would release.

Mr. B (#10,093)

O.K., I'm a total naïf when it comes to publishing but Kindle Single authors get 70% of the gross?? What is the standard for actual books? And, uh, do their agents get a cut of the remaining 30% or what? Because all this sounds like a pretty fuckin' good deal and I'd like to get in on that please.

keisertroll (#1,117)

@Mr. B Welcome to the E-Ink Rush.

riotnrrd (#840)

@Mr. B The standard for paper books is something like 17%.

Kitty Glitter, is that you?

BadUncle (#153)

So, if Amazon works as my robo-agent, who's going to be my personal manager?

keisertroll (#1,117)

@BadUncle Johnny 5.

The great thing about the kindle single is that it looks like I've read 6 books in the last week.

deepomega (#1,720)

Awkward pay story time: Dude I work with was picking my brain about [application I know how to use] and then told me a story about a friend of his who dropped 60 grand on a degree in [using application] and now makes SO MUCH MONEY, so much that this dude literally thought he was lying. But so much money was, maybe, 80% of what I make? Should I have just lied and been like "that princely sum could never even exist, let alone be paid to a single person."

zidaane (#373)

It's lucky the graphic artists doing all these covers are free.

deepomega (#1,720)

@zidaane Step 1: Google image search. Step 2: Lay out type in word. Step 3: Publish!

Hi! I wrote the piece. To be clear, the Kindle Singles authors are usually under NDAs but they were allowed to share for this.

And yeah, the sales are impressive. @Mr. B — yes, it's 70% of each sale, though keep in mind that the Singles are all priced under $2.99 so you have to sell kind of a lot to make a lot. At the same time, these fall between the length of magazine articles and full-length books, so it's a good home for content that writers really couldn't do much with before.

Also, I'd love to see some Awl Kindle Singles.

Niko Bellic (#1,312)

@Laura Hazard Owen@twitter It seems very much like writing an iPhone/iPad app, which reminds me of the best way to make money with such things: To Be Continued! (click here to purchase the next installment for $2.99).

Post a Comment