The Awl is seeking a managing editor. The position is daily and half-time. Duties include editing, keeping a feature schedule, working with awesome writers and being an organizational maniac. We will accept applications through end of day, December 17.
● Answering all incoming queries and submissions; conducting correspondence with authors.
● Consulting with the editors on story publication and editing, as well as copy-editing and fact-checking.
● Coding stories for presentation.
● Maintaining a feature schedule that runs about eight weeks in advance.
● Executing author contracts, tracking author invoices and coordinating with the publisher.
● Recruiting for and running internship programs.
● Assigning, writing, reporting as able and desired.
● Hatching fun schemes.
● Flawless usage of written English.
● News sense, and experience with nonfiction and reporting and how and why it works.
● Some experience with HTML and basic coding.
● Ability to represent the publication in the best possible manner.
● Incredible organizational skills.
The position is half-time, flexible to the degree possible, although we'd most like someone to work each day from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Eastern time. The pay is not extraordinary.
People of all backgrounds and ages are encouraged to apply. A college degree is not required. New York City residence preferred but not necessary. Ability to work in the United States is mandatory.
A resume or c.v. that displays your experience and a note that explains your interest and skills, sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Considered applicants will undergo an edit test.