"Drug Reduces Gambling Behavior In Slot Machine-Loving Rats" is the headline, and I am not going to click through because there is nothing the article can possibly tell me that will be more amusing than the little story about slot machine-loving rats I have going on in my head right now.
Other New York Times Opinion Writers Who Must Be Punished, Like Nate Silver, For Discussing Gambling
- "I’d bet anything that if the president staked out such an Obama Plan, Buffett and a lot of other business leaders would endorse it."—Thomas Friedman
- "To his immense credit he took a big gamble on killing Osama Bin Laden."—Roger Cohen
- "I’ll bet he’s not a Charlie Stross reader; if he were, he’d know about the scene in The Jennifer Morgue involving a PowerPoint presentation that turns anyone who watches it into a murderous zombie."—Paul Krugman
- "The bet Punch Sulzberger made his whole career is that people wanted — and would pay for — great journalism."—Joe Nocera
- "If I had to bet which candidate was [...]
The documentary Bet Raise Fold tells the story of three online poker players, the companies who make online poker possible, and online poker's Black Friday—the day in 2011 that the government seized the domains and froze the bank accounts of three of the largest online poker operations.
The movie's genesis is wholly of the modern day too. This is an independently produced and distributed documentary, funded by a group of 12 online poker players. No big studios were involved. The production spanned three years. Distribution is being supported by direct-to-consumer distribution platform VHX. A Kickstarter campaign provided the funds for music [...]
"I could tell you that during a 36-hour period in July of 2006, I lost $18,000 in Las Vegas. Or I could tell you I once picked through every corner of my car, including the grating underneath the spare tire, for five dollars of spare change so that I could make the minimum bet at a blackjack table (a bet I lost). And my interest in divulging these details would not be to instruct or to edify, or even to elicit empathy from fellow addicts. My interest would be to rip open my suffering heart and show you its beautiful beating, and in this way, I might think of [...]
Florida's Lieutenant Governor Quits Over Minor Scandal Involving Illegal Gambling, Racketeering, and $250 Million In Money Laundering
"Florida Lieutenant Governor Jennifer Carroll has resigned because a firm she once consulted for has been linked to a racketeering case, the Miami Herald reported …. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement scheduled an afternoon news conference in Orlando to discuss a racketeering investigation involving Allied Veterans of the World, a nonprofit organization that runs Internet cafes." —Governor Rick Scott has lost his anti-gay Romney-supporting number two in a scandal involving illegal gambling software and Internet cafes. And apparently there is racketeering and money laundering going on in Florida!