On Ask Polly: Should I Have This Baby?

@IBentMyWookie -- more specifically, it is almost impossible for him to simply sign away his rights. She can skip getting his name on the birth certificate or an Acknowledgment of Paternity, but in just about every state (Texas used to be the exception and even it's changing), the only way for him to be legally off the hook is for the child to be adopted. And even if the child's mother isn't interested in child support, if she ends up using state aid, the state will want to get contributions from the father before they turn to the state budget.

Posted on March 26, 2014 at 1:53 pm 1