Quantcast

On Polly Asks: New York Magazine Wants Me to Write Ask Polly For Them. Should I Tell Them to Piss Off?

Technical question: is there an RSS feed? Otherwise I may have good intentions about seeking out Ask Polly, but forget because it's not in my Feedly.

Posted on August 20, 2014 at 5:20 pm 0

On Ask Polly: My Boyfriend Won't Stop Raging About My Sexual History

@Pity_Kitty@twitter Well, he did say something about being an asshole.

Posted on June 12, 2014 at 5:50 pm 0

On Ask Polly: I Have Absolutely No Idea What I Need to Be Happy

@CasualElegance Along those lines, I recently read an answer regarding finding a dream job by Mike Rowe, who used to host Dirty Jobs on the Discovery Channel. https://www.facebook.com/TheRealMikeRowe/photos/a.151342491542569.29994.116999698310182/773932499283562/

Posted on June 5, 2014 at 3:57 pm 1

On How Bookstores Survive

My favorite bookstore cats are at Moby Dickens in Taos, New Mexico. They seem to always be playing in the window by the front door.

The current kitties there are Tony and Mabel (picture on website here: http://www.mobydickens.com/#!about-moby/c1enr) though my favorite kitty name ever may be their predecessor Ibid.

Posted on April 14, 2014 at 5:33 pm 0

On Ask Polly: My Boyfriend Thinks I'm Ugly

@Sharilyn Neidhardt I really couldn't agree more. I dated a guy I thought was My One True Love who made a couple of bad comments about my weight and never once told me that I was beautiful. (Once he told me that we'd have beautiful children because they were from me, but that's about as close as it got.) His stated reason for breaking up with me was my weight.

Fast forward to the first time I had sex with my now husband, where he said over and over and over again, "I love this body." It was supposedly a one night stand and he had NO idea that this was the perfect thing to say to me. It was honest and of no bullshit. Every now and then I'll catch him staring at me appreciatively. I know that I'm not a supermodel or even a plus sized model. But I also know that my husband thinks that I'm beautiful. And I thought that wasn't important when I was sobbing uncontrollably about my ex, but it IS important for your partner to think that you're hot.

Posted on April 3, 2014 at 11:57 pm 1

On Ask Polly: My Mom Keeps Guilting Me About Visiting For Christmas!

@Olivia2.0 Nope. I'm looking forward to a week at the ranch with my family. The fights are usually about what sort of food we're making, but otherwise, it's a pretty decent time.

Sooner or later we'll make the trek to spend Christmas with my husband's family, and that will be a little more stressful, because my husband has an awkward relationship with his dad. I think there was a lot of judgment on both sides when my husband was in his 20s and 30s, but I think both of them are pretty ok with what my husband is doing with his life now.

Posted on December 19, 2013 at 12:34 pm 0

On Chico Hamilton, 1921-2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1wCnCuA1hw My favorite Chico Hamilton, especially the latter part starting at around 7:30. I grew up listening to him.
It occurs to me that I made the same comment when you guys talked about him turning 90.

Posted on November 27, 2013 at 10:49 am 0

On Goats Besweatered

Modern Farmer is the most important addition to my RSS feed in the last three years.

Posted on November 26, 2013 at 9:38 pm 0

On Ask Polly: If I Dump My Needy Girlfriend, I'm Afraid I'll Ruin Her Life!

...and for the love of all that you find sacred, don't try to remain friends to help her with the breakup.

Posted on November 26, 2013 at 6:11 pm 3

On Ask Polly: I'm Dating A Girl, But I'm Falling In Love With a Man!

I do worry sometimes about the implications of his getting so mixed up with me so recently after his marriage fell apart. We've talked about this, though, as we talk about everything, at length and with complete honesty, our bullshit sensors working, and I really do trust him when he says this isn't a rebound, he wasn't expecting it, yes the timing is odd but he really wants to be with me.

Just as an FYI, I got into a relationship with someone roughly six weeks after his marriage fell apart (he was roughly your guy's age, but so was I). We went through the same analysis. Head over heels in love, talking the relationship to death (mainly in text form since we were long distance which made later parsing and analysis even more painful than usual), weird timing, but we're so sure of our feelings, friends and family thought we were going to last forever, etc. About 10 months in, after several declarations of a future together and right before I was supposed to move to his city for the sole purpose of being with him, he flew to mine and surprised dumped me in person. Turns out rebounds can be harder to identify than I previously thought.

At any rate, I do agree that you need to let your ladyfriend know what's going on ASFAP, but perhaps with the guy take a piece of good advice I heard recently: spend four seasons together first. Then see what happens.

Posted on September 25, 2013 at 6:41 pm 0