The Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree
Every time I am silent or seemingly thinking or chewing or barely breathing and unoccupied what I’m really doing is praying fervently that our country devotes itself to dendrolatry and muck our polished patellae in a worshipper’s kneel unto Trees. And where does the Holiday Axe factor into this religion? I’ve always felt like Woolf’s Septimus, felt that they “beckoned; leaves were alive; trees were alive. And the leaves being connected by millions of fibres with [my] own body….” So this morning as the vile Vargoshe family hauled the cut carcass of a 12-ton Norway spruce like a bloodied buck on the roof of [...]
Gravity (film) I’ve been cigarette-free for forty frustrating days and I still can’t hold my breath as long as the Movie Stars do on screen, a gargantuan screen, a screen the size of Forest Lawn Memorial Park, here at the “only real IMAX theater in the city” a friend has told me, and I’m not sure what he means but I believe him because he’s the kind of guy who knows about these things and has strong convictions about movies, a trait that I admire greatly. I’m out of calm-downers and I’m measuring my lung capacity every three minutes and gasping like a kid again. You see, that’s [...]
• New on Netflix Instant: that Aaron Eckhart movie that no one saw that you never wanted to see!
• Gloria is the midnight movie at IFC this weekend!
• Ryan Trecartin at PS1 on Sunday. (All the art gays in one place!)
• I will totally watch "TNT's non-groundbreaking but absorbing" new alien show, "Falling Skies," on Sunday.
• It is the Northside Festival in Brooklyniamsburgpoint if you like music and festivities and lots of them. (Yacht is playing Sunday and everyone seems excited.)
• And a kooky group show opens at the gallery called Canada on Sunday. It's about… [...]