In April of 1788, a mob of workers and freed slaves broke into a temporary shelter on the site of the still-under-construction New York City Hospital on Broadway and discovered a collection of preserved dead bodies and body parts. They believed that the bodies, in various states of dissection, had been stolen from cemeteries. They were right, for the most part.
By the late eighteenth century, the creation of a wholly American medical system, one not reliant on British doctors and facilities, necessitated an education apparatus fed by a regular supply of cadavers. In 1788, only five years after the war, this apparatus was still being erected. Columbia College [...]